Well, unfortunately I have many days that I wish I could re-do when it comes to my lack of parenting skills. This last week Brinkley decided to give me a good test. She had been begging for treats, but it was almost dinner time so I told her that we were not having anything to eat until dinner. Of course, she promptly took that as "We'll See???" She went down stairs and got herself a snack and brought it upstairs to show me. When I saw her I told her that if she opened and ate the treat she would be going to bed right now... (5:30pm, stupid punishment I know, but it was all I could think of in the heat of the moment.) So, what did she do... Yes, she opened it and ate it right in front of me. My patience is minimal at best and soon my heart sank when I realized the fight I was in for. I let her eat the treat and then when she was done I said "Oh good, your done with your treat lets go get ready for bed" To my astonishment she came! Both of us were calm and even happy as she put on her pj's, brushed her teeth and read a story. I even began to think that this might even work...Then into bed we go, and the realization hits her that I'm serious. She says "No, I want to have dinner." I say "I'm sorry, but you chose a treat and straight to bed instead of dinner."
Then came the war that I had been expecting in the beginning. Screaming and flailing all over the room. I set her on her bed and told her I would see her in the morning. Then I went outside the room and held the door handle for dear life to keep her in there. A couple minutes later Tom came home and I said "Tom, I need you to trade the locking knob from the bathroom door and the one on Brinkley's door... because she is going to bed now! and she is not having dinner! By the way I have to leave right now to go visiting teaching :)" Terrible, I know... but being the good husband he is, he followed through on my threat for me. When I came home, Brinkley of course wasn't asleep, but quietly crying in her bed. I went in to kiss her goodnight and remind her what choices per her in there to begin with. I told her to stay in there and go to sleep and I was sure that she would make much better choices tomorrow.
We unlocked the door when she fell asleep and when she woke up the next morning she came running out saying "I'm Free, I'm Free!!!" Of course I felt guilty as ever, but not quite guilty enough to take the lock off the door. And Tom later told me "Next time do you think you could choose a little easier consequences?" Anyway... not my proudest parenting moment, but the more I think about it was actually pretty funny. And maybe someday Brinkley will begin to take me seriously.
Great story, and YES very funny. All parents have moments like those, don't worry--you are definitely not alone!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for sticking to it. That is the hardest thing...Empty Threats. It is almost harder on you cause it breaks your heart to see them so sad.
ReplyDelete